Tuesday, January 11, 2011

moving in

- Had been feeling nervous until I got into the airport and realized I was alone. then, I felt calm and excited. traveling necessitates reflection, and I wrote and talked to strangers and thought about planes crashing, which is what I think most people do when they're in planes. you wonder how many people around you are also thinking existential thoughts. then I read an article that a friend recommended which fit perfectly into the day. I also read this excellent one.

-airplane neighbors: first, a muslim man from sudan. we talked about rules, spirituality, and what praying five times a day does to a culture. it felt borderline convert-y, I was most interested in his discussion of northern/southern sudan and british colonization. second, a woman with painted-on eyebrows halfway into "The Faith and Values of Sarah Palin." I decided to abstain from conversation and nap instead.

- took a shuttle to my co-op. there are several kittens, a 6-year-old boy, her mother, who I watched get tattooed by another housemate in the living room tonight, other friendly people. they're strangers and I'm 20 years younger than them. the impression I get is that things are very unstructured.

-tomorrow/tuesday: 9-5:30 training with generation five. the goal is to take lots of notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment