Sunday, January 24, 2010

There are some things we don't talk about


A quick entry before Chloe gets back with our friend Carter and festivities ensue:

FOMO (fear of missing out) again rules my life. I want to see everyone, and do everything, and it's hit me that I'm only here for five more days.

Luckily, I'm well-rested. This weekend I stayed with my friend Sophia in the Hamptons. It felt weird to be in a place notoriously known for being high-income after having spent the week working with issues surrounding people with low-to-no-income. In this society, we're not supposed to talk about class or racial stratification, but I couldn't help but notice at a restaurant we went to on Saturday that the people cooking appeared to be hispanic, the waitresses appeared to be white, and the owner appeared to be a white male (I say appeared, because of course, I could be wrong about how they identify). The customers - all white, too.

I don't know what to make of this still, except to say that I'm trying to remember that we generally don't choose what class we are or however else we identify, and that people are people. I had a wonderful time hanging out with Sophia and her family - you always get to know a person so much better that way. We got about as much nature as possible crammed into the two days, hiking and running in the woods and walking on the beach. On Sunday, it was rainy, so we had a chill movie and Kraft macaroni-and-cheese afternoon. Somedays, Annie's just doesn't cut it, comfort-food-wise.

Tomorrow begins the home stretch for my stay here, and for the Welfare Warrior's research report. I'm excited because Michelle has told me that I will get to write some of it, which is scary and great. Like everything else, I hope there's enough time to dedicate my all to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment